Monday, March 31, 2008

Caribbean Bread Pudding


I promised I would share this one if it turned out well. Bubba didn't care for it because it turned out a bit heavy on the rum. I'm sure, if you didn't want to use rum you could soak the raisens in water and put in some rum flavoring. I made two batches, one for Rene and his family and one for us. The recipe fills an 8"x8" Pyrex dish. I put more rum in ours........ and our bread was fresh rather than dried so it turned about a bit more moist than Bubba likes but I'll finish it! ha ha ha ha Instead of using regular bread I found a few braided loaves on the day old cart at Wal Mart and tore them into pieces instead. I also improvised on the amount of raisins because the recipe didn't say. We couldn't find coconut milk at the store so I used coconut cream and it tasted great!

16 slices week-old bread
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used Splenda)
1/2 cup rum (to soak raisins)
4 large eggs
2 cups evaporated canned milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk (I used cream)
pinch allspice (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup gold rum (to pour over top)
1/8 cup water (to pour over top)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Soak raisins in rum prior for 2 hours, or until hydrated. In large bowl tear sliced bread, in separate bowl mix milk, 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt and coconut milk. Blend with mixer or blender until smooth. combine with bread, add raisins and butter and stir.

Place in greased Pyrex dish and into a pan of water.
Bake at 350 for 50 minutes until golden brown.
While still warm, add remaining rum and 1/8 cup water on top.
Serve hot or cold.
Great with vanilla ice cream!!!

Creator: Shahine McLaughlin

No comments:

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
San Angelo, Texas, United States
I love my life! I'm a middle aged Southern Baptist married to my soul mate and following my dreams.

Followers