Sunday, December 7, 2008

The reason for the season


Christmas is nearing. In less than three weeks now we will celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 
 
As I sit at my picture window I ponder; how I will explain to my family my anxiety driven hesitence to return to Iowa for Christmas? I think about what Christmas is and where my mind should be focused. 

One topic that comes to mind, the least important on the issue, is how people picture the physical form of Jesus. It seems to be an instinctive action to picture the Holy Family in a physical form similar to our own, similar to the norm for our nationality. Its likely not intentional, likely not predjudice, simply another way to feel close to them. 

For some reason this tendency has become a bit of a pet peave for me. It shouldn't bother me and I pray that I will lose my sensitivity on the issue, but I brissel when I see portraits of Jesus with sandy colored hair and blue eyes. Because of this, when searching for a nativity scene to wallpaper my computer, I chose the one you see. When I, in my mind's eye, imagine Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus, this is what I see.

No matter what you imagine when you think about Jesus and his birth, THINK ABOUT JESUS AND HIS BIRTH! That is the reason for the season and why we celebrate CHRISTMAS, not "the holidays". 

More later ......
 

No comments:

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
San Angelo, Texas, United States
I love my life! I'm a middle aged Southern Baptist married to my soul mate and following my dreams.

Followers