Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Does anyone have an ARC for sale?

Just when you think you've got things under control another S-turn jumps in your path. The heavy rains in this area and North of here have really done a number on the local rivers. The Cedar and Shell Rock rivers are out of their banks and flooding many towns and farms in the area. Many friends and family members have had to sand bag at the least and seen their homes completely submerged at the most. This morning Dad & Bubba were helping a neighbor with use of a generator and a water transfer pump. Dad's gone to locate another sump pump for their basement. Theirs is still working but is quite old and he wants to have a back up so Mom's Industrial Sewing business doesn't flood.

Yesterday Mom & Dad took a long drive through Clarksville, Greene and the surrounding area. She took some amazing pics you should see; check out http://bertha-hobbyhillseamstress.blogspot.com/

Bubba & I drove through Shell Rock around noon and I snapped some
shots of the river at the Cherry Street Bridge.

The firemen were parked at one end, keeping an eye on the bridge. I went back over the bridge to take pictures at Vacation Bible School but when I came home the bridge had been closed. They had firetrucks parked across each end along with yellow tape. I didn't have a cell phone with me but the Lord guided me, very calmly, to help. I was amazed. In this situation I would typically panic a bit but God took me by the hand and led me to the home of Mom's best friend where I could relax, chat with Sharane and call home (and play with their shi-tzu puppy) ;-). Dad told me where the next bridge to the East was and I backtracked my way through the country and made it home safely. This morning the roads that I took last night were under water ........... I am so blessed.

This pic is taken from the Cherry Street bridge at noon Monday. Where the water breaks is the dam which usually drops between 6 & 10 feet. This bridge was closed between 6:45 & 8:00 last night because there was not enough room for the floating logs and debris to pass under.

I understand the rivers have subsided just a bit in Shell Rock this morning but we're expecting more storms for the next three days.

Please pray with us for the hundreds of people dramatically effected by the flooding in Iowa. Adding insult to injury after the tornadoes of two weeks ago is a hard hit but these are strong, resilient, Christians who will hold each other up in any way they can. I ask a specific prayer for Frank and Barb Vance whose subterranean home was completely submerged by the river. May God bless them and keep them in this time of struggle and recovery.

More later ........

PRAY OFTEN
LIVE WELL
LAUGH OFTEN
LOVE MUCH


No comments:

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
San Angelo, Texas, United States
I love my life! I'm a middle aged Southern Baptist married to my soul mate and following my dreams.

Followers